Keyword: Mercury. Sediment. Coast. Baseline concentration. Pollution.
1. Allison, J.D. and T.L. Allison, 2005. Partition coefficients for metals in surface water, soil, and waste. Rep. EPA/600/R-05, 74.
2. Asmund, G. and S.P. Nielsen, 2000. Mercury in dated greenland marine sediments. Science of the Total Environment, 245: 61-72.
3. Balistrieri, L.S. and T.T. Chao, 1990. Adsorption of selenium by amorphous iron oxyhydroxide and manganese dioxide. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 54: 739-751.
4. Belzile, N., Y.W. Chen and R. Xu, 2000. Early diagenetic behaviour of selenium in freshwater sediments. Applied Geochemistry, 15: 1439-1454.
5. Benoit, J.M., C.C. Gilmour, R.P. Mason and A. Heyes, 1999. Sulfide controls on mercury speciation and bioavailability to methylating bacteria in sediment pore waters. Environmental Science & Technology, 33: 951-957.
6. Berzas, J.N., L.B. garcía and R.M.D. Rodríguez, 2003. Distribution of mercury in the aquatic environment at Almadén, Spain. Environmental Pollution (Barking, Essex: 1987), 122: 261-271.
7. Chae, J.S., M.S. Choi, Y.H. Song, I.K. Um and J.G. Kim, 2014. Source identification of heavy metal contamination using metal association and Pb isotopes in Ulsan Bay sediments, East Sea, Korea. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 88: 373-382.
8. Chester, R., 2000. Marine geochemistry. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
9. Choi, J.Y., S.G. Lee, J.H. Bang, D.B. Yang, G.H. Hong and K.H. Shin, 2011. On the distribution of PCBs and organochlorine pesticides in fish and sediment of the Asan Bay. Ocean and Polar Research, 33: 45-53.
10. Choi, M.K., H.B. Moon, S.S. Kim and Y. Lee, 2005. Distribution of sewage-derived organic matter using fecal sterol in Masan Bay, Korea. Journal of Environmental Science International, 14: 481-490.
11. Clark, R.B., 2001. Marine Pollution (Fifth edition). Oxford, 236 pp.
12. Covelli, S., J. Faganeli, M. Horvat and A. Brambati, 2001. Mercury contamination of coastal sediments as the result of long-term cinnabar mining activity (gulf of Trieste, northern Adriatic sea). Applied Geochemistry, 16: 541-558.
13. Ding, Z.H., J.L. Liu, L.Q. Li, H.N. Lin, H. Wu and Z.Z. Hu, 2009. Distribution and speciation of mercury in surficial sediments from main mangrove wetlands in China. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 58: 1319-1325.
14. Eggleton, J. and K.V. Thomas, 2004. A review of factors affecting the release and bioavailability of contaminants during sediment disturbance events. Environment International, 30: 973-980.
15. gobeil, C., R.W. Macdonald and J.N. Smith, 1999. Mercury profiles in sediments of the Arctic Ocean basins. Environmental Science & Technology, 33: 4194-4198.
16. Hammerschmidt, C.R. and W.F. Fitzgerald, 2004. geochemical controls on the production and distribution of methylmercury in near-shore marine sediments. Environmental Science & Technology, 38: 1487-1495.
17. Han, G.M., S.H. Hong, W.J. Shim, K.T. Ra, K.T. Kim, S.Y. Ha, M. Jang and G.B. Kim, 2016. Assessment of Persistent Organic and Heavy Metal Contamination in Busan Coast: Application of Sediment Quality Index. Ocean and Polar Res., 38: 171-184.
18. Horowitz, A.J., 1985. A primer on trace metal-sediment chemistry. US government Printing Office, 67 pp.
19. Horvat, M., S. Covelli, J. Faganeli, M. Logar, V. Mandić, R. Rajar, A. Širca and D. Žagar, 1999. Mercury in contaminated coastal environments; a case study: the gulf of Trieste. Science of the Total Environment, 237: 43-56.
20. Hwang, D.W., H.G. Jin, S.S. Kim, J.D. Kim, J.S. Park and S.G. Kim, 2006. Distribution of organic matters and metallic elements in the surface sediments of Masan harbor, Korea. Korean Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 39: 106-117.
21. Hwang, D.W., I.S. Lee, M. Choi, C.S. Kim and H.C. Kim, 2015. Evaluation of pollution level for organic matter and trace metals in sediments around Taehwa river estuary, Ulsan. Korean J. of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 48: 542-554.
22. Hwang, D.W., I.S. Lee, M. Choi, S.Y. Kim and H.G. Choi, 2013. Evaluation of organic matter and trace metal contamination in surface sediments around the geum River Estuary using sediment quality guidelines. Korean Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 46: 930-940.
23. Johannessen, S.C., R.W. Macdonald and K.M. Eek, 2005. Historical trends in mercury sedimentation and mixing in the Strait of georgia, Canada. Environmental Science & Technology, 39: 4361-4368.
24. Kim, H.Y., J.C. Kim, S.Y. Kim, J.H. Lee, Y.M. Jang, M.S. Lee, J.S. Park and K.H. Lee, 2007. Monitoring of Heavy Metals in Fishes in Korea - As, Cd, Cu, Pb, Mn, Zn, Total Hg -. Korean journal of food science and technology, 39: 353-359.2
25. Kwokal, Ž., S. Frančišković-Bilinski, H. Bilinski and M. Branica, 2002. A comparison of anthropogenic mercury pollution in Kaštela Bay (Croatia) with pristine estuaries in Öre (Sweden) and Krka (Croatia). Marine Pollution Bulletin, 44: 1152-1157.
26. Lee, K.W., H.S. Kang and S.H. Lee, 1998. Trace elements in the Korean coastal environment. . Science of the total environment, 214: 11-19.
27. Lee, M.K., D.I. Lim, I.K. Um, E.B. Shin and H.S. Jung, 2003. Seasonal variation and spatial distribution of water qualities in Youngil Bay, southeast coast of Korea. Journal-Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, 25: 898-908.
28. Leivuori, M., 1998. Heavy metal contamination in surface sediments in the gulf of Finland and comparison with the gulf of Bothnia. Chemosphere, 36: 43-59.
29. Lim, D.I., J.W. Choi, H.H. Shin, D.H. Jeong and H.S. Jung, 2013. Toxicological impact assessment of heavy metal contamination on macrobenthic communities in southern coastal sediments of Korea. Marine pollution bulletin, 73: 362-368.
30. Lim, D.I., J.Y. Choi, H.S. Jung, H.W. Choi and Y.O. Kim, 2007b. Natural background level analysis of heavy metal concentration in Korean coastal sediments. Ocean and Polar Research, 29: 379-389.
31. Lim, D.I., J.Y. Choi, H.S. Jung, K.C. Rho and K.S. Ahn, 2007a. Recent sediment accumulation and origin of shelf mud deposits in the Yellow and East China Seas. Progress in Oceanography, 73: 145-159.
32. Loring, D.H., 1990. Lithium-a new approach for the granulometric normalization of trace metal data. Marine Chemistry, 29: 155-168.
33. Mason, R.P., N.M. Lawson, A.L. Lawrence, J.J. Leaner, J.G. Lee and G.R. Sheu, 1999. Mercury in the Chesapeake Bay. Marine Chemistry, 65: 77-96.
34. Matschullat, J., R. Ottenstein and C. Reimann, 2000. geochemical background–can we calculate it?. Environmental Geology, 39: 990-1000.
35. Meng, M., J.B. Shi, Z.J. Yun, Z.S. Zhao, H.J. Li, Y.X. Gu, J.J. Shao, B.W. Chen, X.D. Li and G.B. Jiang, 2014. Distribution of mercury in coastal marine sediments of China: Sources and transport. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 88: 347-353.
36. Mok, J.S., K.J. Lee, K.B. Shim, T.S. Lee, K.C. Song and J.H. Kim, 2010. Contents of heavy metals in marine invertebrates from the Korean coast. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, 39: 894-901.
37. Ogrinc, N., M. Monperrus, J. Kotnik, V. Fajon, K. Vidimova, D. Amouroux, D., Kocman, D., Tessier, E., Žižek, S. and M. Horvat, 2007. Distribution of mercury and methylmercury in deep-sea surficial sediments of the Mediterranean Sea. Marine Chemistry, 107: 31-48.
38. Park, K.S., S.U. Park and Y.J. Kim, 2010. A Study on Numerical Assessment for Ozone, PM10 and Smog Using SMOKE-CMAQ Modeling System around Coal Power Plants on the West Coast of Korea. Proceeding of the 51st Meeting of KOSAE, 328-328.
39. Park, S.C., D.G. Yoo, K.W. Lee and H.H. Lee, 1999. Accumulation of recent muds associated with coastal circulations, southeastern Korea Sea (Korea Strait). Continental Shelf Research, 19: 589-608.
40. Pempkowiak, J., D. Cossa, A. Sikora and J. Sanjuan, 1998. Mercury in water and sediments of the southern Baltic Sea. Science of the Total Environment, 213: 185-192.
41. Ra, K., E.S. Kim, K.T. Kim, J.K. Kim, J.M. Lee and J.Y. Choi, 2013. Assessment of heavy metal contamination and its ecological risk in the surface sediments along the coast of Korea. Journal of Coastal Research, 65(sp1): 105-110.
42. Ra, K., J.K. Kim, S.H. Hong, U.H. Yim, W.J. Shim, S.Y. Lee, Y.O. Kim, J. Lim, E.S. Kim and K.T. Kim, 2014. Assessment of pollution and ecological risk of heavy metals in the surface sediments of Ulsan Bay, Korea. Ocean Science Journal, G: 279-289.
43. Reimann, C. and R.G. garrett, 2005. geochemical background—concept and reality. Science of the total environment, 350: 12-27.
44. Roussiez, V., W. Ludwig, J.L. Probst and A. Monaco, 2005. Background levels of heavy metals in surficial sediments of the gulf of Lions (NW Mediterranean): an approach based on 133Cs normalization and lead isotope measurements. Environmental Pollution, 138: 167-177.
45. Rudnick, R.L. and S. Gao, 2003. Composition of the continental crust. Treatise on geochemistry, 3: 659.
46. Sanders, C.J., I.R. Santos, E.V. Silva-Filho and S.R. Patchineelam, 2006. Mercury flux to estuarine sediments, derived from Pb-210 and Cs-137 geochronologies (guaratuba Bay, Brazil). Marine Pollution Bulletin, 52: 1085-1089.
47. Schropp, S.J., F.G. Lewis, H.L. Windom, J.D. Ryan, F.D. Calder and L.C. Burney, 1990. Interpretation of metal concentrations in estuarine sediments of Florida using aluminum as a reference element. Estuaries, 13: 227-235.
48. Selin, N.E. and D.J. Jacob, 2008. Seasonal and spatial patterns of mercury wet deposition in the United States: Constraints on the contribution from North American anthropogenic sources. Atmospheric Environment, 42: 5193-5204.
49. Seo, K.W., J.M. Chi and Y.H. Jang, 1998. geochemical relationship between shore sediments and near terrestrial geology in Byunsan-Taean area, west coast of Korea. Economical Environmental geology (in Korean), 31: 69-84.
50. Shin, M.S., K.S. Bae, S.J. Kang and J.H. Kim, 2006. A study on the topography and current characteristic of the before and after construction at geum River estuary dike. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 20: 61-66.
51. Sim, S.G., J.Y. Kim, H.C. Jin and W.Y. Kwon, 2008. Monitoring and Modeling Study for Mercury Deposition over the Yellow Sea. Proceeding of the 46th Meeting of KOSAE, 303-304.
52. Song, Y. and M.S. Choi, 2017. Assessment of heavy metal contamination in sediments along the coast of South Korea using Cs-normalized background concentrations. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 117: 532-537.
53. Song, Y., M.S. Choi, J.Y. Lee and D.J. Jang, 2014. Regional background concentrations of heavy metals (Cr, Co, Ni, Cu, Zn, Pb) in coastal sediments of the South Sea of Korea. Science of the Total Environment, 482: 80-91.
54. Song, Y.H., M.S. Choi and Y.W. Ahn, 2011. Trace metals in Chun-su Bay sediments. The Sea, 16: 169-179.
55. Sun, C.I., D.J. Kim, Y.W. Lee and S.S. Kim, 2015. Pollution and Ecological Risk Assessment of Trace Metals in Surface Sediments of the Ulsan-Onsan Coast. Journal of the Korean Society for Marine Environment & Energy, 18: 245-253.
56. Tessier, E., C. garnier, J.U. Mullot, V. Lenoble, M. Arnaud, M. Raynaud, M. and S. Mounier, 2011. Study of the spatial and historical distribution of sediment inorganic contamination in the Toulon bay (France). Marine Pollution Bulletin, 62: 2075-2086.
57. Tomiyasu, T., A. Matsuyama, T. Eguchi, Y. Fuchigami, K. Oki, M. Horvat, Rajar, R. and H. Akagi, 2006. Spatial variations of mercury in sediment of Minamata Bay, Japan. Science of the total environment, 368: 283-290.
58. Woo, H.J., J.H. Cho, K.S. Jeong, C.S. Chung, S.J. Kwon and S.M. Park, 2003. Pollution history of the Masan Bay, southeast Korea, from heavy metals and foraminifera in the subsurface sediments. Jour. Korean Earth Science Society, 24: 635-649.